Friday, January 22, 2016

No. 4 Frozen

I knew that performing this one would require singing long phrases so while I was translating this poem I thought of the stanzas as having only two lines:

4. Frozen 

I search the snowy meadows for traces of the trail
Where hand in hand together we crossed the verdant dale
I want to kiss the ground, to pierce the ice and snow
With my own burning teardrops to see the soil below
No more the flower blossoms, and gone the blooming vale
All flowering is ended, the fields are all so pale
This journey has no keepsake, no memory of my pain
When all my sorrow ends, no thought of her remains
My heart is also frozen, her cold gaze in its cell
If ever it should melt, her image melts as well

4. Erstarrung

Ich such' im Schnee vergebens 
Nach ihrer Tritte Spur,
Wo sie an meinem Arme 
Durchstrich die grüne Flur.

Ich will den Boden küssen, 
Durchdringen Eis und Schnee 
Mit meinen heißen Tränen, 
Bis ich die Erde seh'.

Wo find' ich eine Blüte, 
Wo find' ich grünes Gras ?
Die Blumen sind erstorben, 
Der Rasen sieht so blaß.

Soll denn kein Angedenken 
Ich nehmen mit von hier ?
Wenn meine Schmerzen schweigen, 
Wer sagt mir dann von ihr ?

Mein Herz ist wie erstorben, 
Kalt starrt ihr Bild darin; 
Schmilzt je das Herz mir wieder, 
Fließt auch ihr Bild dahin !

No comments:

Post a Comment