Friday, January 22, 2016

No. 7 On the River

This one was challenging, but at least I wasn't dealing lots of internal and alternate rhyme. Whenever I got frustrated I would pause, close my eyes and put myself in the poet's scene. Then the obvious solution would come.
I am pleased with my solution for "liegst kalt und unbeweglich im Sande ausgestreckt" but a way to capture the meaning of "mein Hertz in diesem Bache erkennst du nun dein Bild?" still eludes me:

On the River
You who so freely ramble
You clear unruly stream
How still you are converted
No last farewell it seems
With hard encrusted armor
You've all your surface sealed
You lie so cold and quiet
Upon the sandy field
Upon your frozen surface
I write with jagged stone
The name of my beloved
The hours and days I've known
The day of our first meeting
The day I left her side
Round names and figures winding
A broken circle wide
My heart, this frozen river
Do you not see your face?
And underneath your surface
Do raging currents race?

Auf dem Flusse
Der du so lustig rauschtest
Du heller, wilder Fluß
Wie still bist du geworden
Gibst keinen Scheidegruß
Mit harter, starrer Rinde
Hast du dich überdeckt
Liegst kalt und unbeweglich
im Sande ausgestreckt
In deine Decke grab ich
Mit einem spitzen Stein
Den Namen meiner Liebsten
Und Stund und Tag hinein:
Den Tag des ersten Grußes
Den Tag, an dem ich ging
Um Nam und Zahlen windet
Sich ein zerbrochner Ring
Mein Herz, in diesem Bache
Erkennst du nun dein Bild?
Ob’s unter seiner Rinde
Wohl auch so reißend schwillt?

No comments:

Post a Comment